National Doughnut Day - What the YUCK? | Healthy Donut Recipe

Try this healthy donut recipe (baked doughnuts low carb, gluten free, low calorie, low fat) for National Doughnut Day

I'm not going to act like some type of food goodie or deny the fact that I have indulged in doughnuts before ... That is not my point here. I know what a doughnut is and how it tastes. On the other hand, I feel justified in my disgust that my Facebook and Google were bombarded with donut pictures on June 7th for something called ... National Donut Day?

Are you kidding me?

Are they serious?

What the ... YUCK???

Since when do we need to dedicate a national day to some refined starch, sugar riddened, empty calorie food? Is this really what we want to teach our children? Do we really need to bother our time and lives for such an unhealthy food? Not once have I seen a National Organic Foods Day or National Direct Sales Day graphic popping up on my Google+ or Facebook wall.

I really find it in bad taste (no pun intended) ... 

In fact, it bugs me as much as when my baby sees a McDonald's commercial and brushes his hand across his chest (he does that instead of belly) while saying, "Mmmmm, McDonald's good" ... I hate it that McDonalds attracts from toddler to senior citizens when our nation is the MOST OBESE in the world. So, what makes them think that health conscious parents want to deal with encouragement of Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme?

What the ... YUCK??? I had to find out WHY!

So, I looked into it a bit more and found out that Doughnut Day / Donut Day has been going on for decades. It is celebrated the first Friday in June to honor of the women from the original "Doughnut Day". In 1938, The Salvation Army of Chicago started Doughnut Day as a fundraiser to help the needy during the Great Depression. The Salvation Army "Lassies" (later called "Doughnut Dollies") were the women who served doughnuts as their form of support to the soldiers during World War I. It is still observed to date as a day to honor those Lassies.  Popular donut chains like Krispy Kreme, Dunkin Donuts, Lamar's Donuts, Tim Hortons, and local shops give away free donuts on National Donut Day.



OK, so who am I to go against a patriotic tradition?

I guess the doughnut is as American as apple pie. This is especially true for those who have loved ones that were in World War 1 and World War 2 (where the Red Cross carried on the Doughnut Dollie tradition). Plus, everyone get a free doughnut or two or three ... on National Donut Day.

National Donut Day had me hook, line and sinker until ...

I read some additional information that stated there are 3 MORE DAYS for donuts!!! There's an International Jelly Filled Doughnut Day June 8th, National Cream Filled Doughnut Day (September 14th) and Buy A Doughnut Day (October 30th).

Are you kidding me? 4 Doughnut Days??? Give me a break!!!

Unless there is a healthier doughnut being served, I am not likely to participate in this observance and neither will my family ... UNLESS it's this

“All For One” Low Carb Krispy Kreme Donuts
.

Kelly tackled her donut addiction and came up with this recipe for 4 glazed donuts that are low carb, gluten free, low calorie and virtually fat free. 4 of these glazed donuts are only Calories = 117, Fat = 2.5g, Carbohydrates = 9 to 10g. I know my husband is going to be sooooooo grateful, as doughnuts are one of his favorites :)

Can I get a WHAT THE ... YEAH!!! for finding this treat?

If you make these healthy doughnuts, please make sure to come back and let us know how they turned out for you :)



Your Friend,
Lea
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING? Use Search Box below to find it!

Subscribe For Skinny Tips!

Facebook Lose Weight Get Healthy Feel Great Health Pinterest Twitter Healthy Food Life YouTube

STEP UP up your weight loss, health and motivation in the 2020 New Year. Sign up for this FREE newsletter jammed packed with tips, healthy recipes, lifestyle, meal planning, fitness and weight loss tips. Don't miss out ... Subscribe right here!

Subscribe for Skinny Tips: Recipes, Meal Plans, Motivation and more!